Re: Makefile setting

Stephane.Bihan@arccores.com wrote:

> > > the ARC supported implementation of gdb we are trying to achieve is
> > > "extensible".
> > > The register description is minimal in the sense that only the basecase
> > > registers are described in REGISTER_NAMES.
> > > This description is updated (more registers are added) when we connect to
> the
> > > simulator.
> >
> > Hmm, I'd suggest investigating the multi-arch framework.  It better
> > handles things like an architecture suddenly deciding it needs to be
> > changed.  A target can also forced multi-arch to re-select its
> > architecture if needed.
> >
> > http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/papers/multi-arch/
> >
> > For the register extensions, are they known by arcExtMap or are they
> > obtained from the target?
> >
> They are extracted from the object file.

Good, multi-arch should definitly help.  When a new object file is
presented to GDB the multi-arch framework is asked to identify it and
create an architecture for it.  arc-tdep.c can be set up to identify
that information and set up things like the REGISTER_NAME
(REGISTER_NAMES is being given the boot :-) for the relevant target.

Just a few speed bumps to climb over before it starts to help.

	enjoy,
		Andrew