Re: exact meaning of restart

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Quality Quorum wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Say I have embedded system, it got 'R' request, what it should do ?
> >
> > I have RTEMS/pc386 bootstrapped by the netboot off the linux box.
> > Once it get 'R' it will do warm-boot. It seems like it gdb
> > expects something else:
> >
> > 1. Gdb does not allow enough time to complete reboot.
> > 2. Gdb does not repeat '!' request, so system could
> >    be rebooted remotely only once.
> >
> > I am not able to figure out what is required in the case.
> >
> > My only guess is that extended operations are limited to
> > gdbserver like environments which allow fast restart and
> > embedded systems should use target 'remote' and reboot themselves
> > once 'kill' is received.
> >
> > Can anybody help ?
>
> Yes.  As far as is known ``!'' is limited to the GDB server.

And gdbserver (1)returns status string in response to '!',
(2)is not programmed in ROM  - so we do not need 'forcextended'
to provide backward compatibility with old stubs - life is not
so bad and it seesm really trivial feat to fix remote.c to
seamlessly support extended ops on both gdbserver (with its
fast reload) and embedded targets (wit its slow reload).

Thanks a lot.

> 	Andrew

Thanks,

Aleksey