Re: showing function arguments

       From: Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>

       I would like to see all the arguments that each function is called
       with.
       gdb certainly has this information, as it displays it when you look at
       a backtrace.

       I would like to produce a trace that contains something like this:
       function_call1 (arg1=.., arg2=...)
       function_call2 (arg1=.., arg2=...)
	[ ]

Stan Shebs had useful tips, which I won't repeat here.

What Dan Nicolaescu is asking for is called "Slime Trail"
mode in "How Debuggers Work" by Rosenberg, Pub. by Wiley, 1996.
(Page 131). Note that I am not promoting the book (I do
not have any financial or other personal interest in the book).

Slime trail mode prints on every call and every return.
It answers the question "how did I get here" in a way
that is sometimes much more useful than a simple stack trace.

David B. Anderson davea@sgi.com danderson@acm.org http://reality.sgi.com/davea/
Y2K conversion simplified: Januark, Februark, March, April, Mak, June,
Julk, August, September, October, November, December.