Re: Recent Linux related changes to gdb...

>    Michael Snyder has already written to tell you that Linux thread
>    support has been merged into gdb.  If you want to try it out, fetch
>    the most recent gdb snapshot from sourceware.cygnus.com.
>
>    Jim Blandy has merged various other Linux changes (in addition to the
>    thread related stuff) into a branch off the main Cygnus development
>    tree.  It is my understanding that these non-thread related changes
>    represent the work of Bill Metzenthen, H.J. Lu, Anthony Green, and
>    probably others as well.  (My apologies if I left your name out.)  I
>    am pleased to report that these changes have been merged into the main
>    development branch and are also available via the most recent snapshot
>    from sourceware.cygnus.com.
>
> I'm not pleased at all that these changes have been merged in.  They
> break every non-Linux i386 target.  `i386-tdep.c' has been turned into a
> Linux-specific mess (for example the Linux-specific signal trampoline
> handling) and symbols that are only defined in `config/i386/tm-linux.h'
> are used all over the place (LOW_RETURN_REGNUM, HIGH_RETURN_REGNUM,
> FPSTART_REGNUM, FPEND_REGNUM).
>
> I think this is unacceptable, and beg you to revert the patch until
> some care has been taken that it doesn't break all the other i386
> targets, and the linux-specific signal trampoline handling has been
> split-out into a seperate file.

Yes, we goofed.  Those changes weren't meant to go in yet.  I've been
gone for a month, and just got back, so communication wasn't what it
should have been.

As far as the trampoline code goes:

1999-07-29  Jim Blandy  <jimb@savonarola.red-bean.com>

	Change from Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>.  The
	i386_linux_sigtramp* functions should be moved to
	i386-linux-tdep.c, when that file is introduced.

In other words: yes, that code doesn't belong there.  It's not going
to stay there.  It shouldn't hurt you to have it there for the moment.