Can't build GDB 4.18 under Cygnus 2.0.1

I have CygWin installed in my WinNT 40 PC.  I downloaded GDB 4.18, unzipped
and untar'ed it and ./configure it without specifying a target or host.  It
correctly configured it for i686-pc-cygwin.  I then proceeded to run "make"
at the top level and it complained that there were no targets to be made.
Looking at the makefile created, I see that this is also true.  Why does
the make file failed to be created with any targets?  The only problem I
saw during the configuration was a warning about an unterminated sed "s"
command.  I couldn't track which sed cmd this was.

Can any one please help?

Thanks
Roger

PS: Please email me directly as I do not subscribe to this list.  Also,
note that you must first remove "_nojunk" from the email address:
rogerc_nojunk@ignitus.com