Re: gdb support for AMD 29K

   From: "Steve Kossar" <skossar@paragon-networks.com>
   Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:58:22 -0400

   I am interested in using gdb with an AMD 29K based target (custom hardware).
   Can someone point me to:

	   - low-???.c (low-a29k.c?) for use with gdbserver.  We already have an IP
   stack running on the target.

	   - a stub for the 29k (a29k-stub.c?) for use with the remote protocol

This is an either-or kind of thing usually; gdbserver is designed to
be a host-side program that you would not typically run on an embedded
processor.  Usually you want to write a stub and then integrate it
into your target system software in some useful way.  As far as I
know, no one has written a generic stub for the a29k.

To learn how to write a stub (it's not too hard), look in the GDB
manual, in the section entitled "the GDB remote serial protocol", as
well as the existing stubs in the sources (i386-stub.c is probably the
simplest to work from).  At present, the top of remote.c is the most
accurate documentation of the actual protocol, although I want to make
the manual be the real spec that the source code is supposed to follow
(novel idea eh? :-) )

							Stan Shebs
							shebs@cygnus.com