GDB: MPC5xx/8xx support.

I've been playing around with GDB targeted for the powerpc
architecture.  I am trying to do some remote debugging on a Motorola
MPC860 ADS board.  I want to set some of the special purpose registers
but I'm not sure how.  When I type "info architecture" I notice that the
Motorola embedded powerpc processors are not supported (only
powerpc:603, powerpc:604, powerpc:403 and powerpc:601).

Is there anything I can do to set any of the 860 specific registers (eg.
DER, MSR, IMMR, etc).  They seem to have register offset values.  Maybe
I could mimic setting these special registers by giving the apprpriate
offset in some kind of generic GDB set register command ??  Is this
possible ??

Are there any plans to support the MPC5xx/8xx embedded processors ??
Any idea when ??

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.
begin:vcard
n:Simon;Brendan
tel;fax:+61 3 9886 0269
tel;home:+61 3 9561 0817
tel;work:+61 3 9886 0128
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CTAM Pty Ltd
adr:;;469 Springvale Rd;Glen Waverly;Victoria;3150;Australia
version:2.1
email;internet:brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au
title:Embedded Systems Design Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-7584