Re: gdb, native i686-pc-linux-gnu

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:42:09AM -0400, Michael Chastain wrote:
> . Highlights of This Spin
>
>   I added gdb 6.2, skipping 6.1.91, 6.1.92, and 6.1.93.  There is one
>   regression from gdb 6.1.1 to gdb 6.2: PR gdb/1650.  To see all the
>   changes from gdb 6.1.1 to gdb 6.2, look at the difference tables for
>   gdb (6.1.1, 6.2).
>
>   gdb.threads/watchthreads.exp is unstable in my test bed.  I have not
>   analyzed this yet.

I have.  The main problem is that the test script works if one
watchpoint triggers at a time.

(A) The test script has problems.  It doesn't match the output
correctly, and bails out of the main loop too early.

(B) GDB has problems.  If a thread creation breakpoint is hit, and a
watchpoint triggers while we are stopping all threads, then GDB prints
"Thread Creation Event - GDB should not stop!" or something like that.
Even if I fix that bug and make GDB print the watchpoint information,
it thinks the current thread is the one stopped in __nptl_create_event
and prints that thread's location.

In other words, GDB's thread event handling is lousy.  Not a shocker
:-(

>           All tests PASSed in all non-gcc-HEAD configurations except for
>           the "thread N ran" tests.  Here are the counts per thread.
>
>                    t0  t1  t2  t3  t4  t5
>             PASS    2  22  21  22  21  22
>             FAIL   20   0   1   0   1   0

Do you think these tests add any value?  I'm considering weakening them
so that we don't generally have this problem.  I'm a little curious as
to why one thread fails more frequently than the others... but it's
probably just a scheduling artifact.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz