Re: 4.17.85 Feedback

   From: jtc@redbacknetworks.com (J.T. Conklin)
   Date: 10 Mar 1999 16:24:33 -0800

   >>>>> "Jim" == Jim Blandy <jimb@cygnus.com> writes:
   jtc> Is the tui interface supposed to be usable on all platforms?

   Jim> Well, kind of.  The code isn't up to the standards of the rest of
   Jim> GDB --- for example, it contains HPPA-specific code --- and we
   Jim> don't have a lot of resources allocated to clean it up.

   TUI is clearly not up to GDB standards, which begs the question why it
   was integrated in its current condition.

It's not my proudest moment. :-( It was part of HP's effort to switch
over to using GDB as the standard debugger on their systems, and since
they're the first major workstation vendor to officially adopt GDB, I
bent the rules.  It's been a hard road though, and I don't think I
would make the same choice a second time.

   TUI doesn't seem to offer me or the users I support much benefit, so
   the only reason I have to do this is my desire to improve GDB.  If I
   have time, I may put some effort into it.  However, IMO the onus for
   bringing TUI to an acceptable belongs squarely on the shoulders of
   those who contributed it.

HP has signed up to maintain it, since they have the most interest in
it, and I expect that they will do so.  If the TUI doesn't get better,
it will always be possible to take it out again.

							Stan