GDB 4.17 is released

 [ please feel free to forward to any appropriate mailing lists.  I've
   sent a copy off to the FSF to be relayed through the official FSF
   mailing lists/newsgroups.  Thanks for all the help in getting this
   done!   Jason ]

GDB, the GNU debugger, allows you to debug programs written in C, C++,
and other languages, by executing them in a controlled fashion, printing
their data, etc.

We are releasing version 4.17 of GDB.  We released 4.16 two years ago,
and there are many changes and additions in 4.17.

-rw-r--r--  1 14910    23059     8972436 Apr 27 20:12 gdb-4.17.tar.gz

The md5sum checksum is

b7d40dc61f0691d5e2e6dd21b0408688  gdb-4.17.tar.gz

We've added host support for Alpha GNU/Linux, Unixware2, Irix 6.x, PPC
Solaris, SPARC GNU/Linux, Motorola 68k sysV68 R3V71 and x86 Solaris.
We've added target support for the ARC, Hitachi H8/300S, Matsushita
MN10200 and MN10300, MIPS NEC VR4100 and VR5000, MIPS Toshiba TX39,
Mitsubishi D10V and M32R/D, the Tsqware Sparclet, ARM Thumb (ARM7T),
MIPS16, and the NEC V850.  There are also simulators included for many
of these chips.  MIPS and SPARC simulators are also included in the GDB
4.17 release.

GDB now understands the DWARF 2 debug information format.

GDB has basic Java language support for native compiled Java.

GDB 4.17 includes two years of bug fixes and updated vendor OS support.
If you are using GCC 2.8 or EGCS 1.x, you should definitely switch over
to GDB 4.17.  GDB 4.16 does not handle the debug information output by
these modern GCCs very well.

These are some of the highlights.  Please see gdb-4.17/gdb/NEWS for more
specific information about additions to GDB.

There is a web page for GDB at

	http://www.cygnus.com/gdb/

Which includes information about GDB mailing lists (an announcement
mailing list, developers discussion lists, etc.), locations for
development snapshots, preformatted documentation, and links to related
information around the net.  We will put errata notes and host-specific
tips for this release on-line as any problems come up.  All mailing
lists archives are also browsable via the web.

Many people have contributed to this release, thanks to everybody for
the help!

Keep those fixes and improvements coming in!
(Send them to bug-gdb@prep.ai.mit.edu)

	Jason Molenda
	Cygnus Solutions