Re: backtrace/2224: backtrace doesn't work with bochs stub anymore

The following reply was made to PR backtrace/2224; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Godmar Back" <godmar@gmail.com>
To: "Daniel Jacobowitz" <drow@false.org>
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: backtrace/2224: backtrace doesn't work with bochs stub anymore
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 23:12:01 -0500

 On 2/6/07, Godmar Back <godmar@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On 2/6/07, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
 > > On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:29:09PM -0500, Godmar Back wrote:
 > > > You mean the "invalid hex digit 78" message?
 > > > I'm pretty sure this is because the bochs stub, which is the stub that
 > > > has the issue, sends the string literal "ENN" instead of "Enn" where
 > > > "nn" is a hex number.  Note that 'N' is dec 78.
 > >
 > > Note, this is not a command error (part of the protocol) it's a
 > > protocol error.  GDB may just throw up its hands and stop talking to
 > > the target.

 Indeed, changing bochs such that it returns "Eff" instead of "ENN"
 fixed the issue.
 I will file a bug report with bochs.

 I would urge you to consider, however, to recreate the earlier, more
 permissive protocol handling you had in place for earlier gdb
 versions.

 See also Postel's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postel's_law

  - Godmar