Re: c++/375: debug problems when there are multiple expansions of same template

The following reply was made to PR c++/375; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: c++/375: debug problems when there are multiple expansions of same template
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:05 +0200

 Is there any chance that this issue will be fixed?

 We are working with 3D images with either 1, 2 or 4 bytes gray value
 depth. Because of this, almost all our functions are templatized and
 expanded three times (with unsigned char, unsigned short and unsigned
 int), in the case of functions working with two images, I often even
 have nine (3*3) expansions.

 Currently gdb is almost unusable for me. I can set a breakpoint at the
 beginning of a function (by saying rbreak functionName which finds all
 expansions), but there's no way to set a breakpoint inside a function as
 gdb just chooses one template expansion randomly. Even 'until' in loops
 often doesn't work, neither does 'break +lineoffset' when I'm already in
 the function. So if I have a loop with some 1.000.000 iterations (which
 you often have if you run through images as large as 512*512*256), all I
 can do is saying something like 1000000 n, which is dead slow and
 imposes the big danger to miss the point which should be inspected.

 If this happens I normally scream, knock my head on the table, go and
 have a cigarette, boot windows, do a CVS update, start Visual Studio,
 compile, wait, recognize that I forgot to checkin, scream, knock my head
 on the table real hard, boot Linux, checkin, boot Windows, do cvs
 update, start Visual Studio, compile, wait, work around incompabilities
 of the braindead compiler, compile, wait, debug, checkin, go home and
 drink a beer.

 You can't honestly want that? :-)