Re: c++/1246: Cannot map library libstdc++.so.5

The following reply was made to PR c++/1246; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: whippet@smart.net
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com, chastain@sourceware.org,
        hnguyen@genome.broad.mit.edu, gdb-prs@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: c++/1246: Cannot map library libstdc++.so.5
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:35:16 -0500

 http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

 for what it is worth, I have experienced a similar problem as what was
 described ... I believe the advice given was not quite complete.  The
 problem is, that when GDB runs your program, it executes a shell, with
 concomitant execution of start up files.   If my default shell is a
 c-shell, this will execute my .cshrc ... if the .cshrc sets my
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and this path is used to find the libstdc++.so.5 (often
 the case on non-LINUX installations), then the value of the environment
 variable that you see when you print the LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside GDB may not
 be the value that GDB uses when it runs your program ... GDB checks this
 inferior environments LD_LIBRARY_PATH which may not be the same as the
 environment that GDB runs in itself.

 The advice that the system libs were installed incorrectly is suspect.  The
 problem is, if your program relies on LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH to find
 .so's, then the start up files for your default shell have to correctly set
 these ... setting them manually and then using GDB will not work.  This is
 a side affect to GDB invoking a shell to run your program in.

 eric