Re: breakpoints/1848: breakpoint (Error accessing memory address)

The following reply was made to PR breakpoints/1848; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Kettenis <mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl>
To: desimoi@sns.it
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: breakpoints/1848: breakpoint  (Error accessing memory address)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:57:16 +0100 (CET)

 Thanks for your bug report.  Unfortunately you don't include quite
 enough information in the report for me to see what's wrong.  My guess
 would be that even though you're on a 64-bit amd64 system your Linux
 distribution is set up such that it produces 32-bit binaries bt
 default.  To check whether this is the case, please look at the output
 of:

 $ uname -a

 and

 $ file gdb

 If the first command has x86-64 somewhere in its output and the latter
 line says something like 32-bit ELF, my guess is probably right.  In
 that case you can solve the problem by rebuilding gdb, making sure
 that you set the environment variable CC to "gcc -m64" before running
 configure.

 If my guess isn't right, please provide a self-contained testcase
 together with the exact commands you typed such that we can try to
 reproduce your problem.  You can use script(1) for that.

 Cheers,

 Mark