remote/1793: i386-stub.c not updated and doesn't compile

>Number:         1793
>Category:       remote
>Synopsis:       i386-stub.c not updated and doesn't compile
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Oct 18 12:38:00 UTC 2004
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Mario
>Release:        any
As far as I know i386-stub.c contains a few special-purpose subroutines that implement the GDB remote serial protocol. This file must be linked with the program to execute in the target machine.

The problem is that i386-stub.c is out of date and even worst: it doesn't compile (a ";" is missing). It looks like this is an abandoned feature.

I have managed to compile and link i386-stub.c with my program and I am able to debug programs compiled with gcc 2.8.1 using an old gdb version.

So code in i386-stub.c (with some minor changes) works well for old gdb versions but it doesn't work for modern versions (gdb 5.3.90 or gdb 6.0).

Moreover, file i386-stub.c is the same in gdb-6.2.tar.gz than for a old version as gdb-5.1.0.1.tar.gz

Have I missed some important point? I suppose this file should be updated with every gdb version. Is there any other alternative to debug a program across the serial port? (gdbserver is not a solution for me since I want to debug a program running on a bare machine)

Thank you very much for your help,
Mario.
>How-To-Repeat:
gcc -c i386-stub.c   (to see the compile error)