build/1610: install failed on Solaris (wrong path for install-sh)

>Number:         1610
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       install failed on Solaris (wrong path for install-sh)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Apr 09 07:58:00 UTC 2004
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Luc.Maisonobe@c-s.fr
>Release:        gdb 6.1
make install fails on solaris 2.8
in the bfd and bfd/doc subdirectories, an attempt to execute ./install-sh is made, which fails because install-sh is really located one or two levels up.

INSTALL is properly defined in bfd/Makefile and bfd/doc/Makefile, but when these Makefile are called from the top level one, this one overrides the value through the use of BASE_FLAGS_TO_PASS which contains "INSTALL=$(INSTALL)".

Since the value in the top-level directory is "./install-sh -c" which is a relative path, passing it to sub-directories clearly fails.

This is probably an autogen issue
>How-To-Repeat:
on a Solaris 2.8 machine without a BSD-compatible install program, try ./configure ; make ; make install

if one uses make INSTALL="`pwd`/install-sh -c" install, installation succeds, showing the variable overriding is the only reason for this behaviour
>Fix:
Either do not pass the value of INSTALL in sub-directories since it is already defined there, or use an absolute path.

I have not checked if this error occurs for other programs.