build/1501: [regression] src-release broken, uses obsolete sun4 configuration

>Number:         1501
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       [regression] src-release broken, uses obsolete sun4 configuration
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jan 07 06:48:00 UTC 2004
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     mec.gnu@mindspring.com
>Release:        gdb HEAD 2004-01-04
>Environment:

The release procedure for gdb uses the top level Makefile "src-release".

"src-release" configures gdb to build a few files for the release tarball that are not in the CVS archive.  When "src-release" does this, it uses the sun4 configuration.

Sun-4 has been removed from gdb.

You can see an log from the nightly snapshot starting here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdbadmin/2004-01/msg00004.html

>How-To-Repeat:
Run the release process (documented in gdbint.texinfo) or look at the nightly snapshot messages in gdbadmin.
>Fix:
Change src-release to use a different architecture.

I don't know about any hidden gotchas in the top level, so I don't want to do this myself.  In particular, there's a big comment about "newlib" and sun4.  Just grep for sun4.