Re: breakpoints/1052: GDB 5.3 (macro supporting) - macro value is string without quotes.

The following reply was made to PR breakpoints/1052; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Carlton <carlton@math.stanford.edu>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
Cc: GNATS Filer <gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com>,
   "Gvozdeva, Svetlana" <Svetlana_Gvozdeva@stl.sarov.ru>
Subject: Re: breakpoints/1052: GDB 5.3 (macro supporting) - macro value is string without quotes.
Date: 13 Feb 2003 12:19:48 -0800

 On 13 Feb 2003 16:08:00 -0000, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> said:

 >  My point is that "p 234" prints the value of the C expression "234".  "p
 >  var" prints the value of the C expression "var".  "p MACRO" is printing
 >  the value of the C expression "MACRO" which happens to not be a valid
 >  expression.  I don't see a problem with the current behavior.

 >  Let's see if anyone else has an opinion.

 We should definitely keep the current behavior.  I suppose we could
 add something to 'help print' making it clearer that its argument
 should be an expression in the current source language, but the
 current behavior is correct: if you want to see what the macro expands
 to, use a different command.

 For example, say you have

 #define MACRO (x + y)

 Then 'macro expand MACRO' should print '(x + y)' while 'print MACRO'
 should actually look up the variables x and y, figure out their
 current values, and add them together.  Both of these are useful
 operations; trying to have 'print' sometimes do the one and sometimes
 do the other (or to have 'print' only do the same as 'macro expand'
 instead of what it currently does) would be bad.

 David Carlton
 carlton@math.stanford.edu