gdb/390: AIX minimal-toc flag for compiler

Jimi X jimix@watson.ibm.com
Thu Mar 7 05:08:00 GMT 2002

The following reply was made to PR gdb/390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jimi X <jimix@watson.ibm.com>
To: ac131313@redhat.com
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/390: AIX minimal-toc flag for compiler
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:55:34 -0500

  a> Alexandre Oliva wrote:

  a> On Feb 4, 2002, "Peter.Schauer"
  a> <Peter.Schauer@Regent.E-Technik.TU-Muenchen.DE> wrote:

  >> -mminimal-toc is only available with gcc, so we might loose again,
  >> if someone tries to build GDB with the native compiler.

 you are missing the point.. only gcc-2.95.x uses toc entries so
 inefficiently that either -bbigtoc or -mminimal-toc is required.
 neither xlc, nor gcc-3.x required any workaround at all.

  a> Besides, I'm not convinced the performance loss of -mminimal-toc
  a> would be smaller than that of -bbigtoc, so I went with the latter
  a> for now.  Tested on AIX 4.1.  Ok to install?

 They are basically the same, Unfortunately the AIX/XCOFF gnu linker
 will not support -bbigtoc (or any equivelent), so your breaking that
 anyway.

 -JX