Re: gdb/633: fully qualified pathnames in solib_map_sections() and remote debugging

The following reply was made to PR gdb/633; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jorma Laaksonen <jorma.laaksonen@hut.fi>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
Cc: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>, gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com,
   gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/633: fully qualified pathnames in solib_map_sections() and remote debugging
Date: 12 Aug 2002 14:18:15 +0300

 Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

 > > >    Global variable SOLIB_ABSOLUTE_PREFIX is used as a prefix directory
 > > >    to search for shared libraries if they have an absolute path.
 > > >
 > > >    Global variable SOLIB_SEARCH_PATH is used as a prefix directory
 > > >    (or set of directories, as in LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to search for all
 > > >    shared libraries if not found in SOLIB_ABSOLUTE_PREFIX.
 > > >
 > > >    Search order:
 > > >    * If path is absolute, look in SOLIB_ABSOLUTE_PREFIX.
 > > >    * If path is absolute or relative, look for it literally (unmodified).
 > > >    * Look in SOLIB_SEARCH_PATH.
 > > >    * Look in inferior's $PATH.
 > > >    * Look in inferior's $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

 Thank you very much for giving thoughs to this issue.  I have two additional
 points to add:

 1) It would be most useful if gdb could check that the remote and local
 solibs are equal, eg. that their versions, checksums or other identifiers
 or the memory mapping locations such as reported by ldd are the same.
 Otherwise, the host cannot know what really is going on in the target.

 2) The texinfo documentation should be updated to include these vaariables.
 In the first place, I was reading info pages and therefore concluded
 that the problem had not been addressed before.  Only after your reply
 I checked "help show" within gdb.

 Yours,

 Jorma Laaksonen

 --