gdb/420: Want gdb to notice multiple inconsistent definitions of the same type

>Number:         420
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Want gdb to notice multiple inconsistent definitions of the same type
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Mar 14 11:08:01 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
>Release:        *
>Environment:

It Would Be Nice if GDB possessed the ability to notify the user when the debug information contains two or more inconsistent definitions of the same type.  This can lead to nearly-unfindable bugs.

I tend to think that this should happen automatically when the executable is read, because many people will never think of this problem, much less bother to find out that GDB can detect it.  However, there are situations when this can happen but there is no bug, so it should be just a warning, and there should be some way to turn it off (ideally on a per-structure basis, in .gdbinit).

See the thread starting at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2002-03/msg00121.html for further discussion and examples.