gdb/188: gdb README claims build in src dir ok, but sid can't be

>Number:         188
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       gdb README claims build in src dir ok, but sid can't be
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Aug 01 09:08:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     erl@voxi.com
>Release:        latest cvs
>Environment:

The gdb/README file in cvs says:

You can build GDB right in the source directory:

	cd gdb-5.0
	./configure
	make
	cp gdb/gdb /usr/local/bin/gdb
	(or wherever you want)

However, doing this I got the error reported in bug gdb/187. I then exchanged e-mail with Frank Ch. Eigler (fche) who said:

In general, we need to build sid in a tree separate from the source tree.
Most of the other tools also prefer this arrangement, so you should probably

It appears to me that either the gdb/README file should be changed to say that gdb MUST be built in another directory, or the configuration of the building of sid should be changed.

>How-To-Repeat:
Vanilla build according to gdb/README:

	./configure
	make