Re: move dwarfstrings into libdw

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 04:08:12PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Actually, that's not the order I had in mind.  What I think I said was
> first make everything use known-dwarf without adding or changing any
> library functions.  But the ordering is not the most important issue.

Aha, sorry I had missed that. I assumed you wanted to see the precise
steps that transformed the dwarf branch dwarfstrings.c to what we want
to have with full usage of know-dwarf macros. I am happy to collapse
those intermediate commits again.

I haven't looked whether there are other places where the known-dwarf
macros could be used. But I suspect that the main usage is precisely
the reuse of string form functions like in readelf and the tests.
And that is also why I did them, because when I write things using
libdw I always end up writing something to detect whether DWARF codes
are known and turn them into some string representation to show lists
or generate (error) messages. I suspect there are more users like that
out there.

> Even though we don't encourage static linking, I don't like having many
> library functions (and their big .rodata tables) all in one file.
> Make it a file per function like we do for most of the library stuff.

That is consistent. It will result in 17 new tiny files though.

Cheers,

Mark