Re: Versioned symbols in elfutils and uClibc

On 04/25/15 05:41, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 07:13:04PM +0300, Max Filippov wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Anthony G. Basile
>> <basile@opensource.dyc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> You might also want to take a look a [1].  I had to produce a series of
>>
>> Wow, I didn't know that gentoo can work with uClibc, that's great.
>> I'll look at these patches.
>
> If you could work together and see which patches seem reasonable to
> submit upstream that would be appreciated. I cannot guarantee they
> will all accepted if they make the code really complicated/broken.

The patches need some configure.ac love to test for the availability of
various features like mtrace() and add the appropriate #ifdef's.  I
don't think they'll be overly complicated, I just didn't polish and push
them upstream because (in those days) I anticipated resistance.  I'll
have some time in about a week and can get something ready.

> And elfutils really is designed to make use of a full featured libc
> like glibc. So if at all possible I would really recommend not using
> something like uclibc. But we should do a reasonable attempt to make
> sure the fork/difference isn't too big.

I get the drawback of not having symbol versioning, but uclibc was never
really designed with upgrades in mind.  Nonetheless, I wouldn't minimize
uclibc's usefulness.  I maintain gentoo on it for many arches [1] and,
for fun, I even build a fully featured desktop system to hit as many
libc level bugs as possible to expand uclibc's robustness/usefulness [2].

Ref.
[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc/Lilblue

--