Re: pending patches ping

On Wed, 2013-01-30 at 16:31 +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:20:24 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > If it isn't fixed, then at least your testcase could be made to work by
> > first checking the start address of the Dwfl_Module and using that
> > instead of the base as offset. Would that be a workaround for your
> > issue? Or is there more to it than your testcase suggests?
>
> The testcase just reproduces the real world behavior, see the original mail
> 	One can see in real world runtime [...]
>
> When you run an executable in shell and look at its /proc/PID/maps you see the
> mapping just is not 2MB-aligned, the testcase reproduces that behavior.

I was just wondering if it was a real problem. Does it matter in
practice? So libdwfl lays out the ELF file differently. Can't you just
use the start address that is given to the module?

Anyway your fix makes sense to me. I am just fuzzy on the details why
this was done in the first place. And I am wondering if it just makes
things more consistent or whether it fixes a real bug.

Cheers,

Mark