Detecting separate debuginfo

I maintain a database which extracts symbol information from ELF objects
(among other things).  I would like to enrich that with DWARF producer
data, and perhaps additional DWARF information in the future.

I'd really like to avoid importing the ELF symbol information twice,
once from the real object file, and once from the separate debuginfo.

The database performs content-based deduplication, this means I do not
have path name information during extraction.  This mean I cannot use
file system paths to disambiguate the real thing and its debugging
information.  Both files are loaded separately and not necessarily at
the same time.  I don't want to change that if possible because this
would result in a scalability issue eventually.  I don't want to assume
that *all* debuginfo data has been separated, either.

Based on the previous discussion around program interpreter reporting in
readelf, there is no easy way to detect separate debuginfo to trigger
special processing for it (e.g., do not extract symbols, only
DW_at_producer data).

One thing that would help me as well if there is a way to get the exact
same set of exported symbols from the real file and its separate
debuginfo.  The I could deduplicate based on that, and processing both
files would not matter anymore.  eu-readelf shows quite different output
for the two files, so I'm not sure how to achieve that.

I don't actually use eu-readelf output (but my extraction code is
derived from it), and I'm open to suggestions to look at particular
sections/headers to get matching output.  I'm mainly interested in
public symbols and undefined symbols.  Internal symbols from debugging
information could be ignored for the time being.