Re: [patch] Resolve ppc64 func descriptors as .func (via .opd)

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:30:21 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> But I am not entirely sure what the *shndxp value should point to. I
> guess for an "altered" function symbol it will still always point to the
> function descriptor (.odp) section. So then if the user really cares
> then they can inspect the shndxp value returned to see whether the
> st_value really falls into it (I guess this is just an oddity those on
> function descriptor based arches need to life with). What is your
> opinion here?

My opinion was in the original patch post.  It was adjusting *shndxp to the
VMA-matching section (therefore usually the .text section).

> And I am still not really happy about the altered name thing though. I
> really think we should just return the name of the ELF symbol against
> which we resolved the address. Dynamically creating strings seems messy.

Do you care about the name having a dot or do you care about dynamically
creating strings?  Those two issues are very separate ones.

Thanks,
Jan