Re: library name patch for 0.146

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Roland McGrath wrote:
> eu-readelf -V is already easier than binutils readelf -V, which doesn't
> look up the SONAMEs for you in the '.gnu.version' dump either.  (You
> have to go find the magic number at the end of a line in the
> '.gnu.version_r' dump and look back for the File: bit.)

   I know that; eu-readelf or readelf, in any case I'll have to do the same
juggling to find the library name.

> Perhaps we could add a --verbose that makes readelf give more detailed
> and/or redundant data in various ways such as this.

   It seriously beats me! You are ready to add a completely new option(ie.
more code, more complexities, will take more time and more of everything
else), but can not accept a patch, that is insanely small and neat and
serves the purpose.

>  Or perhaps you would like to hack on the "greadelf" program (in
> Fedora), or something like it. That is a GUI front-end for eu-readelf
> output.  (It looks nutty to me, but I haven't really tried it.)  A
> snazzy one could have enableable columns or tooltips or whatnot for
> version/soname/etc on symbol table entries.

   GUI doesn't help. I just want three columns of text output symbol name,
their version and library name.

--
Regards
   - Prasad