Re: upstream-tracker: elfutils

On 02/01/2013 02:02 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 09:20 -0800, Josh Stone wrote:
>> I recently discovered upstream-tracker.org for viewing ABI changes, and
>> I asked them to add a few projects, so elfutils is now here:
>>
>> http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/elfutils.html
>>
>> Looks like a good track record! :)  The fact that they watch git too
>> might be useful to help keep it clean.
>
> That looks nice. And it seems the tools are all free software
> http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker
> http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/API_Sanity_Checker
> http://pkgdiff.github.com/pkgdiff/

As is upstream-tracker itself, found here:
http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/Upstream_Tracker

> Do you know if it is easy to integrate into a normal build? It would be
> nice to run something like this on make distcheck before doing any
> release for example.

I haven't tried to use upstream-tracker directly, but I've use the ABI
checker before.  You just have to create a configuration file that
points to the headers and build libraries.

But I think the issue with making it part of distcheck is that it also
needs the previous version to compare against.  It can save "abi dumps"
for comparison, so it doesn't have to be a full build of the old stuff,
but you do need that history in some form.