Re: AR archive iteration broken?

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 19:36 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I tend to think the right fix is instead to have elf_next leave
> ar.offset where it was in the failure case, so it changes nothing
> at all.

That actually is already the case, for the public ar offset the user
gets from get_arroff(), even when elf_next() failed. Only the internal
state.ar.offset is changed, which isn't used till the user calls
elf_begin/elf_getarhdr(). So what my patch does is make sure it isn't
used at all when elf_next() failed and elf_begin() or elf_getarhdr() is
called subsequently (and it has the nice property of doing what Richard
expected).

I admit I also didn't know you were supposed to feed to result of
elf_next() into elf_begin(). That does make sense though. But it would
be nice if elf_begin() indicated end of archive even when given
ELF_C_READ, especially if there are other implementations doing that.

Cheers,

Mark