Re: MiniDebugInfo support

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 02:16:31 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> If the minidebuginfo was really like its name
> suggests a debuginfo file then it would have been an almost perfect fit
> for libdwfl. But it is slightly different. Basically it only contains
> the symtab related sections and the symtab table is not a replacement,
> but an extension of the main file dynsym table.

The original idea really was to make it a replacement for the separate debug
info file, if that one cannot be found.

This also means one could put for example .debug_* sections into
minidebuginfo.

That the symtab table is not a replacement but an extension affects elfutils
but GDB does not care - GDB has already just merged all the symtab variants it
found.

OTOH I do not think it is a problem as - if it ever remains in use - it
probably won't get used for anything besides the .symtab.

Regards,
Jan