Re: [patch] Fix dwfl_report_elf BASE alignment [Re: pending patches ping#2]

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 15:36 +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:37:53 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > The only reason I was hesitant about the patch was the testcase. I
> > assume this mimics what dwfl_linux_proc_report () would do, and it was
> > easier to write it using dwfl_report_elf ()?
>
> dwfl_linux_proc_report uses live PID but if you have a dead core file how to
> pass a PID to dwfl_linux_proc_report?
>
> It is also explained in the patch mail that elfutils uses dwfl_report_segment
> which does not have such bug but it is elfutils internal function.
> Applications cannot use it.  Maybe the unwinder could have a different API
> without using dwfl_report_elf but even in such case dwfl_report_elf exists so
> its bug should be fixed (by this patch).

Yeah, it seems good to fix this. I was just wondering if there was some
other way to trigger it. BTW dwfl_report_segment is a public function.

> > If you could add a comment where the constants for base (0x7f3560c92000)
> > and funcaddr (0x7f3560c92585) come from (and/or how to calculate your
> > own in case someone wants to extend the testcase) that would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Done.
>
> Therefore I expect it can be checked in.

Yes, thanks for adding the explanation to the testcase.

BTW. For the git commit message it is nice if the first line (< 78
chars) is a short summary of the fix. That way a git shortlog looks a
little easier to read.

Cheers,

Mark