2009-09-21 Status

Last 3 weeks
------------

Time spent on elfutils: ~50%
I had a couple days off, is the reason it's so low.

dwarflint:
* Check address size against the bit-ness of the ELF
* Always emit error about missing DW_LNE_end_sequence
* Fix messages: sibling mismatch reports offset of the right DIE; when
we print DW_LNS_ opcode name, we use the right formatter.

writer:
* Duplicate abbrevs are pruned.
* Emit basic .debug_line.  No special opcodes are used at all, it's all
done with standard opcodes.  Offset from .debug_info are back-patched.
* Several fixes for dwarf_64.  I didn't even start to test that, that's
all the "aha" moments that I had when looking through the code.
* Can't use general DIE offset backpatching mechanism to emit sibling
addresses.  We can meet "the same" DIE several times in the tree.
* Small stuff, organizing code.

libebl:
* Fix allocation of memory for long strings

misc:
* Poke translators about wrong translations in our codebase.

It's all on pmachata/dwarf-writer.

* Work on making the produced data complete and well-defined enough for
consumption by libdw.  Next item: .debug_ranges.

* We can't optimize certain references right away.  For these we now
pick the biggest form available.  We could shrink these fields
afterwards.  But the codebase is not ready for this, e.g. gaps have to
be able to move, size of ElfData has to be patched, etc.  So work on
preparing these bits, they will be useful later.

PM