Re: Repository copyrights updated

John Dallaway wrote:

After the trunk is unfrozen, there will be a short time to commit anything
important

It will certainly be worthwhile fixing up the SH3 .ldi files before the branch is cut. There is also a problem with linking the cxxsupp test for ARM targets which are still using arm-elf-gcc 3.2.1.

I also have a note of a number of other issues, such as i386 and mips linking, and a m68k compiler problem which may result in a workaround in the sources, off the top of my head (I'm sure there are others). Not that everything is frozen in the branch before it's cut of course, but it's helpful to avoid double commits. As well as patches, I will also be working on website updates as one of my highest priorities. There's a lot I need to do there, although that's aimed more at the final than the release candidate of course.

Although an unstated assumption I want to make explicit is that I want the eCos 3.0 release to be shoved out without _too_ much angst about what needs to go in - people coming up with last minute contribs of new ports they want to go in for example shouldn't hold up the process. Let's just get it out there, because once it is, things will become easier and we can start thinking about consolidating stuff (and switching VCS, and etc.etc.), and are more likely to get assistance from the community in doing so.

and then I will cut a branch for the eCos 3.0 release and then I
will create a first release candidate - there will probably/hopefully only
be one.

Are you referring to the repository tagging? For avoidance of doubt, I
will be generating the actual releases.

Sorry, I didn't know you had made scripts for generating releases. As you know, eCosCentric aren't in a position to check-in ours, so I think it would be good if you could check in yours (any time after code thaw) for future release reproduction - I recommend a "release" module (not under ecos, but as a separate CVS module). And of course once your assignment is executed. Have you heard anything? I haven't been notified (yet).

I would prefer to choose the timing of the repo tag'n'branch myself, in which case I may as well actually do it (and let you know at that point).

I have everything set up for
this on my release machines. Hence my earlier request for shell access
to sourceware.org for uploading of the releases.

FAOD, the maintainers as a group need to be happy with the state of the release before it goes up for download.

NB I have added the version '3.0rc1' to bugzilla. The b suffix used for 2.0 confused people if you remember, and that seems to be the most common nomenclature now anyway.

Jifl