Re: Red Hat’s eCos: Going, Going, Gone

First of all, I want it to be known that I was not consulted in any way
about this article.  As has been mentioned many times, I was just a
player in the creation of eCos, and was most certainly a late one at
that.

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 05:53, Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Eddie
> >>
> >> I just read your article
> >>   http://sdtimes.com/news/096/emb1.htm
> >> and was quite astounded by one of the facts you claim - "1998 – Gary
> >> Thomas develops the Embedded Cygnus Operating System (eCos)."
> >>
> >> This is *totally* incorrect.  The original architect of eCos was Nick
> >> Garnett who developed eCos in 1996, along with the original team of
> >> Bart Veer and Paul Beskeen.  The first release of eCos was in 1997, at
> >> least a year before Gary Thomas joined Cygnus in 1998.  Gary was
> >> approximately the 6th member to join the eCos team around the time
> >> Cygnus first released eCos publically.
> >

> >  From my recollection, at least Paul, Nick, Bart, Hugo, Stu G, Rob S,
> > Chris Provenzano, Daniel Neades, John Dallaway, myself, Chris Tarpy,
> > Jesper, Simon Fitzmaurice, Mark Galassi and arguably Gary O, Liz and
> > Marc were members of the eCos team before Gary joined. That makes Gary
> > between the 14th and 17th eCos team member. It's okay Alex, it was
> > before your time too :-).
> >
> > In that context, you can understand the surprise at such a statement.
> > Perhaps there was some misunderstanding given Gary's much longer history
> > and experience with PPC Linux as its main original developer?
>
> Or RedBoot, since Gary did write that, although he wrote that while at
> Red Hat during 2000/2001 approx.  Gary could give more exact times for
> the birth of RedBoot when he confirms the inaccuracies of the article.

RedBoot grew out of internal needs and customer demands starting in late
1999.

Another major inaccuracy in the timeline [sidebar] from the article is
that eCosCentric was not formed until mid to late summer of 2002, well
after I had been laid off and the rest [the contingent in the UK] had
been provided notice of redundancy.

I, too, am appalled at the level of error in this article and fervently
appeal to the author and/or publisher to provide corrections to the
public.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates