eCos as an FSF project?

On behalf of the eCos maintainers, I would like to express our interest in possibly becoming an FSF project. As you may remember from <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ecos-license.html>, eCos is GPL'd, albeit with a particular exception to make it more suitable for embedded use in a way that reflected the maintainers' aims at that time.

To give some background, eCos was originally developed within Cygnus Solutions, which was then purchased by Red Hat. At the start of 2002, we changed the licence from the old GPL-incompatible RHEPL to the present licence. Then a little later in 2002, Red Hat to all intents and purposes dropped eCos as a project, primarily by virtue of dropping all but one of the developers!

Since then eCos has continued development as a free project at http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/ (sources.redhat.com is not strictly a Red Hat corporate machine - it hosts other projects including, as you know binutils, gdb and gcc albeit with a different hostname), under the terms of the GPL.

However we have been reappraising the future of where ownership of new work should be vested. Right now, most of the code is, of course, still copyrighted by Red Hat. For many contributions, we have continued to include a copyright assignment to Red Hat as a condition of contribution, at least for the time being. However for work by the maintainers themselves[1] - a substantial amount of work since early 2002 - we have retained copyright ourselves personally with a view to assigning this to whatever entity we decide down the road should hold all future copyright, whether it be the FSF or whoever. This was done so as to limit the power of a single commercial company with no real future interest in eCos to still control every bit of the intellectual property.

We have had discussions with Red Hat, and have now reached the conclusion that Red Hat has no intention of assigning their copyright to any other entity, and they are no longer replying to us on the subject so our discussions are considered to be at an end.

We had originally considered and discounted approaching the FSF earlier because we had in mind a particular goal for doing a form of opt-out licence. We have now dropped these plans and are happy for eCos to continue to be licensed to everyone equally under the eCos licence (GPL+exception).

But now we are interested whether the FSF would consider adopting eCos as a project. This is primarily because the FSF's goals are, naturally, well aligned with those of pretty much any GPL'd software project; but also because the alternative was either dropping copyright assignments completely or creating our own not-for-profit entity to hold copyright which is expensive, time-consuming, and difficult when only two of us are US residents. We haven't yet reached a final definite decision, whether for assigning to the FSF, dropping assignments completely or whatever route, but to do this we'd need to know what is involved, whether the FSF would be willing, and any consequences we should be made aware of.

So we would very much like to know if the FSF are prepared to adopt eCos, and any ramifications for us. One particular issue we want to be sure of is how much autonomy the eCos maintainers would get. Obviously we would like to remain fully autonomous, but I don't know whether the FSF may think differently!

One complication, which you probably guessed from the background, is that the end result would be that eCos would become copyright *both* Red Hat and the Free Software Foundation. While this isn't ideal and we wish it could be avoided, at least it is better, from a legal point of view, than dropping assignments and instead copyright being held by hundreds of people, like the Linux kernel. Would this double copyright cause any problems for the FSF?

Note the CC'd ecos-maintainers list is publically archived, so if you want to reply privately you can do so to me and I'll forward to everyone privately.

Thanks in advance!

Jifl

[1] John Dallaway, Nick Garnett, Andrew Lunn, Mark Salter, Gary Thomas, Bart Veer, and myself.
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine