Re: announcements

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 13:31, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> [ #define MAINTAINERHAT 1 ]
>
> I should also remind folks that this list is publically archived.
>
> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
> > Hi again
> >
> > Gary Thomas wrote:
> >> Alex,
> >>
> >> I would very much like for you to make public clarification of your
> >> announcement, as you have done to me privately.
> >>
> >> The things I find misleading or missing are:
> >>  * This offer is not coming from the maintainers [at large]
> >>  * Proceeds are to go toward test farm improvements
> >>  * The CDROM contents will be available for [free] download
> >> All that was present in your text was the [seemingly] commercial plug.
> >>
> >> If the above statements are indeed true, I think that they should be
> >> part of the public information.  Even the web page mentioned in
> >> the announcement has nothing to say about them, only how to order.
> >

> > Firstly, IMHO putting out a clarification as per my previous response
> > may appear to indicate a rift between the maintainers at eCosCentric and
> > the rest of the maintainers.
>
> I don't think it does. A simple quick clarification sounds like a good idea.
>
> > As far as I know this is not the case.
> > There is certainly competition between Mind and eCosCentric, but that is
> > a seperate issue. How much is your request influenced by your
> > relationship with Mind?
>
> Although I didn't catch it when I read the message, I can see how it can
> be read that way. A simple short follow-up will do no harm.
>
> > If I were to make any further clarification, I would probably just
> > reiterate:
> >
> >   eCosCentric, in conjunction with all the eCos maintainers employed by
> >   eCosCentric, are pleased to announce that they will be selling eCos
> >   2.0 Beta Development CDROMs of the eCos 2.0 Beta release.
>
> We've been discussing something similar in a private list. It could maybe
> be better clarified as something like:
>
> eCosCentric is accepting pre-orders for a physical CD-ROM release of the
> upcoming public v2.0 beta. Note that this service is independent of the
> official 2.0 beta release from the eCos maintainers and when the beta is
> released it will be freely available for download to all.
>
> *But* I don't think the whole announcement needs to be restated anyway.
> Just a short simple note that says something like "Just in case of
> ambiguity, the official eCos 2.0 beta release from the eCos maintainers
> will be freely available for download to all."
>
> It would also be a good principle in future for commercial announcements
> to carry some marker like [COMMERCIAL] in the subject line, particularly
> for the ecos-announce list. Wish I'd thought of that before :-). Oh well.

Per the private discussion, I agree that this is a reasonable
step forward.

Sorry to have been a pain, but I did read this the wrong way
myself (and I know better).

Thanks.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary at mlbassoc dot com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc