Re: v2.0 beta branch

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:20, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 08:46, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> >
> >>Hi guys,
> >>
> >>We're now at the stage where we want to make a 2.0 beta branch in the
> >>public repository. Is everyone okay with that? This is just a branch in
> >>advance of the proper beta release so we can make sure it's a stable base
> >>for testing and generating the beta.
> >>
> >>If there are no objections I'll do it later this evening.
> >

> > Can you set a specific time for this?  I'd like to see if I can have
> > a new [platform] port ready before that.  n.b. it's pretty much ready
> > now, I was just going to do a few tweaks before submitting.
>
> Let's say 19:30 GMT. Jld wants to do some testing over the weekend, and
> wants to get it started this evening.
>
> > If I miss this "deadline", it's no big deal, but it would be nice
> > to get in under the wire.
>
> I think we'll have to move to an "approve before commits" system pretty
> much straight away for anything but trivial bug fixes. So commit to the
> trunk when you're ready, post the patch, and $SOMEONEELSE can decide if
> it's safe or not.
>
> At a guess, if it's very self-contained it's probably ok; if it plays
> around in arch/variant HALs for example, then probably not. So if it's the
> latter, it may not be worth busting a gut.
>
> It'll probably be okay to relax the branch commit requirements a bit once
> the beta release is actually spun from the branch and available for
> download, just to make life easier for the beta period before the final.

It's self contained, with little (if any) non-platform specific changes.

That said, I'll probably just wait, but we'll see where I'm at in 3
hours time :-)

> This is only for target code of course, not docs etc.
>
> >>Separately, but relevant before the branch, I and the other guys think
> >>it's about time we renamed the net template to old_net and new_net to net.
> >>Is this okay too? Obviously we'll update the docs with that.
> >

> > When you do that (it's OK by me), remember to point out that SNMP is
> > not net working/available with the new stack.
>
> Yep. And will do the CDL requires which seals it :-).

Thanks.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc