Re: redboot on STM32f4-discovery board

Hi Oleg

On 02/10/14 09:47, Oleg Uzenkov wrote:

> I am working with eCos on STM32f4-discovery board.
>
> I would like to build a redboot loader that could choose and load
> binaries (eCos+app) stored in internal flash at power on.
>
> The eCos port for STM32f4-discovery has got a redboot option under
> Packages list in Templates. However it seems to be very minimalistic and
> also not functional. Also there is no specific configuration file like
> redboot_ROM.ecm.
>
> Please, could you give me directions as to making a functional redboot
> loader for STM32f4-discovery board.
>
> Would it make sense to build redboot for stm32x0g_eval board (redboot
> seems to be working) and adapt it for STM32f4-discovery board?
>
> I would appreciate any input on this.

To be clear, there is no support for RedBoot in the STM32F4-Discovery
platform HAL at present. The STM32F4-Discovery board offers only 128KiB
of contiguous on-chip RAM, so loading applications into RAM prior to
execution would limit the size of your applications quite considerably.
RedBoot would also consume some of the available RAM for its own data
structures.

If you are still interested in using RedBoot to load and launch your
applications, you will need to add the following to the
STM32F4-Discovery platform HAL package:

a) CDL items and memory layout files for RAM startup
b) CDL items for behaving as a ROM monitor and for working with a ROM
   monitor
c) RedBoot-specific CDL items and data structures

You will find examples of all the above in the STM32x0G_EVAL platform
HAL package, but keep in mind that the STM32x0G_EVAL boards feature
external RAM. The naming of memory regions and startup types is
therefore different. The STM32x0G_EVAL "ROMINT" and "SRAM" startup types
are broadly equivalent to the STM32F4-Discovery "ROM" and (proposed)
"RAM" startup types respectively.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer