Re: Is eCosPro a fork of eCos?

John,

> You obviously feel very strongly about this. The discussion on LinkedIn
> was veering off-topic and so I offered to call you and discuss. Many of
> the things you are accusing me of are not correct. The LinkedIn forum is
> indeed moderated. This is the first time I have ever considered it
> appropriate to moderate a discussion.

What gave it away that I feel so strongly about being censored:-)
There is little enough discussion in the forum and you should be
encouraging discussion, not censoring it.

I don't see how you can argue that my discussion was off topic. How
can you have a conversation about eCosPro without eCosCentric and
without giving them the opportunity to respond or explain their
position? It is their product and it was after all the topic you
started about eCosPro. Surely you have to give eCosCentric the right
to join? I simply put forward my viewpoint on why I thought this was
unfair, and was censored from providing a response to your comments.
As you guessed, that upset me greatly.

> For the record:
>
>> John started a discussion topic about eCosCentric and whether eCosPro
>> is a fork of eCos
>
> In fact, I have responded to a direct question from you. I have not
> mentioned forking at all!

No, I agree you did not say fork explicitly, but that is definitely
what ".. I would *not* describe the eCosPro RTOS as simply a superset
of the eCos RTOS with fixes. " implies. You don't have to say fork -
most people would infer fork from that comment.

You also make a number of statements regarding eCosPro and end with "I
have spoken with eCosCentric at length concerning their business model
and market positioning", thereby attributing the comments through
implication as theirs. Why else did you add that statement? If you
knew eCosCentric's position, why did you not follow up with it. If you
could not say or did not know, that statement is confusing and
misleading.

>> you appear to be saying you have excluded members of eCosCentric from
>> membership of the group because eCosCentric have forked eCos
>
> No, I am not saying that at all.
>
>> Also, you infer from your last response to me on the group
>> that you have spoken to eCosCentric and that they confirm your
>> position that eCosPro is a fork is correct.
>
> Liam, I cannot see how you can possibly infer that. I know for a fact,
> that eCosCentric does not consider eCosPro to be a fork.

Then why did you not say it then but say it now? Why did you mention
your discussion with eCosCentric at all if not to put forward their
response?

> If you want to discuss whether eCosPro is a fork of eCos or not in a
> public forum, go right ahead. But please don't put words into my mouth.

John, I was under the impression the Linked-In group was a public
forum when I joined. Not a closed one that excludes key members of the
eCos community that you have selectively excluded. You have the right
to respond and defend yourself publicly in this one, a right you have
denied eCosCentric in the Linked-In group.

> If you want to discuss why I think it is good to provide a networking
> forum for professional users of the free and open source eCos RTOS,

John, by your own inference above, and by your exclusion of
eCosCentric from the group, you are saying that members of eCosCentric
are not professional users of the free and open source RTOS. If they
are not users of the free and open source RTOS, and if eCosPro is not
a fork, then what are they?  What is eCosPro if not a superset?

I also now know through private email that you have members of your
group who are eCosPro users only. Why are they permitted membership
but not eCosCentric?

> let's arrange to talk.
We are talking now. Why do you want to exclude the other members of
this list or your group by taking this offline? Why would you want to
share your answers with me and not others?

I have one question I am particularly interested in knowing the answer
to, a question you have censored on the group and refused to answer
here as well. It is a question I am sure many of the group members
would also want to know: Why are members of eCosCentric excluded from
the group?

They have done a lot for the community in the past and I believe you
are treating them unfairly. Somebody has to stand up for them if they
will not stand up for themselves. You have a lot of questions to
answer in my opinion, not just a select few.

LK