RE: RFC: 802.1Q VLAN support in eCos

Hi Jürgen,
> Hello Bernd,
>
> I don't know if you saw my email below - maybe you can give me some advice?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jürgen

yes. If you want any kind of support for VLAN tagging in eCos, you have to change the
network driver first. It is normally not configured to send 1522 bytes data packets.
So this has to change, in any case. It might be possible to strip VLAN tags, of filter
certain VLANs in the interface to the network stack.

You could also use a Marvell Switch, to handle the VLAN tags.
This is an ASIC of about the same size than the Atmel Processor, it could be integrated on a
Custom PCB this device can remove the VLAN tags, or add them.

It can handle the QOS field, and reserve certain Bandwith for different QOS values. I do
not see any way the Atmel could process that data volume at all.

This might allow you to keep the network stack unmodified, and use the Switch to
do the hard work.

I added the Transaction oriented interface to the PHY component, to talk to a Marvell
Switching Device, it uses the same SMI protocol as the PHY for the management.

Regards
Bernd.