Re: net/bsd_tcp code conditional on (__NetBSD__ || __OpenBSD__)

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm still working on clean up compiler warnings generated by gcc 4.6,
> and all that's left is stuff under net/bsd_tcpip.  There are variables
> that are set in code that's compiled unconditionally, but only
> referenced in code that's conditional on
>
>   #if defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)

Would it possible "hide" those variables by the same condition?

Oops, grep shows there are _too many_ such conditional checks. So, it
is hard job

> Does eCos ever build that code with either __NetBSD__ or __OpenBSD__
> defined?

and no way to test fixes then.

> If not, just removing the variables would seem to be cleaner than
> marking them with the "unused" attribute.  [My guess is that the
> compiler generates the same code either way, but I haven't verified
> that.]

I would avoid removing those variables even they are referred from the
"died" blocks.

> However, removing the variables rather than marking them unused will
> probably mean a lot more work when it comes time to incorporate
> updates from upstream (which we all hope will happen someday when
> "somebody else" has time to work on it).
>
> So: remove or mark as "unused"?

And may be leave all such places (=warnings) *as is* by that reason you
pointed out?  What's about to enter a temporary suppression using the
GCC diagnostic pragma  for net/bcd_tcp code?  (not tested, just an idea)

  #pragma GCC diagnostic ignored "-Wunused-but-set-variable"

  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Diagnostic-Pragmas.html

Perhaps, that should be included with a check for GCC 4.X version.

So: remove, mark as "unused", or leave as is?

Sergei