Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, den 11.05.2011, 17:06 +0100 schrieb Alex Schuilenburg:
> The new 3.1 eCosPro Developers Kits (commercial versions of eCos, the
> host tools and development environement) do not use cygwin at all.
>
> ecosconfig and the GUI configtool shipped with eCosPro 3.1, as well as
> all the GNU toolchains, run natively on all versions of Windows from XP
> onwards, so you can stick with what you know.  Build times are also
> comparable to those achieved on Linux hosts for same-spec machines.

This is somewhat related to the original posters question, but first a
little background what I'm trying to do:

Currently, we (well, actually it's just me here ;) are trying to setup
an environment where our students in a lab could use eCos.

I'm developing using a linux environment using the ecoscentric-provided
binary toolchains from 2008. This is perfectly adequate for my stuff.

Unfortunatly, our PCs in the lab are windows only (and administration
isn't done by me, so installing stuff is another story). Yesterday, I
tried for a few hours to setup a flow, where I would generate the kernel
libraries for the lab and the students just need to link their apps
against the provided kernel.

Currently, we have a quite old arm-elf toolchain (4.0.3) on the windows
boxes. So grabbed a 4.0.4 compiler for my linux box. Using a virtual
machine with windows I was quite successful with this setup. Linking
went fine in this scenario, but executing the small demo app failed.
After a little research I found out what was failing: the DHCP managment
thread bailed out with an assertion that the stack base wasn't properly
aligned. Using arm-elf-nm I saw that the assertion was quite right. The
linker linked the stack to an odd address! I double checked the ld file,
and there clearly was the ALIGN(0x4) at the .bss section. So, I guess I
found a linker/compiler bug. I could work around the problem by adding
an align attribute to the stack definition, but I've a little
stomach-ache doing so and that such an error might occure elsewhere,
too.

And now back to the original topic:
I tried to get the ecoscentric-provided arm-eabi toolchain running under
windows. I failed doing so. Even after installing cygwin (which wouldn't
be that easy to install to the lab PCs) and shuffling dll's around. I
guess, the toolchain is too old to get it properly running on modern
cygwin/windows machines.

So the question is: are there plans by ecoscetric to contribute a newer
arm-eabi windows toolchain to the public? That would be really great,
because I really don't like to build one on my own for windows... That
one in the commercial version being cygwin-free raised my attention and
this question ;)

Cheers,
Manuel

--
Dipl.-Ing. Manuel Borchers

Technische UniversitÃt Berlin
Institut fÃr Energie- und Automatisierungstechnik
Fachgebiet Elektronik und medizinische Signalverarbeitung

Sekretariat EN3
Einsteinufer 17
10587 Berlin
Germany