Re: Ethernet PHY Device API

On 07/06/2010 03:57 PM, Mikhail Matusov wrote:
Gary,

What sort of initialization does your PHY need? Most PHY devices are
quite useful/happy just being taken out of reset and talking to them...

I need to switch the PHY to the RGMII mode. By default it is in the GMII mode. It involves a few writes to the PHY registers. Are you saying that I have to be doing this in the platform driver? I don't think it belongs there, but that's actually how I am doing it now... For some reason I can't get ethernet working on this card. I know that hardware is OK because I have another OS running on it happily. I can't find anything wrong except for one MAC register reporting wrong RGMII status. This made me think that perhaps the PHY is initialized too late... However, the register in question doesn't seem to behave properly under another OS either...

I agree that initializing the PHY device itself does not belong in the platform driver. However, as you noted, there is no API for the PHY driver to be initialized at reset. Also, switching the PHY device into GMII or RGMII mode would seem to be a platform specific anyway.

I don't understand your last comment 'the register in question doesn't seem
to behave properly under another OS either...'  - what does this mean?