Re: Replacing CVS - decision time: part 2

[ Ack, just noticed some of my previous replies were slightly redundant
given BjÃrn's mail here, I had started them earlier in the day ho hum.
Sorry for the noise. ]

On 01/05/10 19:48, BjÃrn Forsman wrote:
> I'm not aware of a tool like hg-git [1] that works the other way around.
> Having such a tool would be great! Do you have a link?
>
> [1]: http://hg-git.github.com/

Sort of. hg-git does allow you to pull from a git repository, so if we
were using hg in the master, then if someone has exported their git repo,
then we can get the changes.

Similarly if an eCos maintainer has their own changes, and they prefer
working in git, then all they should need to do is keep a local hg
repository around to act as an intermediate step before pushing changes up.
So instead of just 'git push' it would be like:

hg pull git://localhost/foo/ecos
hg push

If git were adopted then a mercurial-using maintainer would just be able
to pull/push from the git master repo directly, without that (obviously
trivial!) extra command.

Mapping of branches and things like that are where the differences would
show. And there's still user gotchas such as CRLF handling on windows
which I already mentioned, which are handled differently between hg and git.