Re: Tracking eCos as a hg/git submodule

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Alex Schuilenburg
> <alexs@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
>> Ãyvind Harboe wrote on 2009-10-14 12:37:
>>
>> However, while external developers may want to use submodules and indeed
>> have eCos as a submodule as you suggest, I dont really see that much of
>> a need for them within the public eCos repo myself - unless you really
>> want to break down individual eCos packages into separate submodules but
>> IMHO that is just taking things too far.
> I have a very weak disagreement with that last point...
>
> I think that it might make sense to package the different processors
> as submodules. ÂAt least, I thought that might make sense back in the
> day when I ported eCos to run on the OMAP. ÂI did the port; published
> it on the mailing list; Jonathan reviewed it; I changed jobs; updated
> the port; ported it again to another OMAP variant as well as several
> different boards custom designed at the new job; and never saw my
> original port make it to the official repository.

I think this is an excellent point.

If we can make this work well, including
FSF assignments, then eCos should see a real boost in hardware
support... There are *LOTS* of eCos HAL's there that never make it
into the official eCos repository, simply because there is no manpower.

Though I don't believe that eCos itself should use submodules, much,
rather that the application engineer would use one submodule for the offical
core eCos repository and another submodule for the OMAP parts.
There are, as you point out, a very small crowd that will be interested
in the OMAP HAL's and only for as long as it is in the job description.

(You can list several eCos repositories in ECOS_REPOSITORY environment
variable, a much undervalued, undermarketed feature...)

--
Ãyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html