Re: Running ECOS on AT91SAM7X-EK

Hi Mandeep

Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> I'm going to run ECOS on my AT91SAM7X-EK eval board.
>
> Any tips/pointers on how to go about running ECOS/sample app on the board?

This board has only 64kB RAM. While it should be possible to install GDB
stubs, using a JTAG debugger for code download and execution will leave
you with more free RAM to experiment with.

> As a start, I'd like to test out the serial port, i.e, run some app
> that writes to the serial port and verify the output on the other end.
> As this board is available in the templates, I plan to build the
> sample serial.c example code against this target and run it.

The serial.c example code should work, but the serial tests in
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL will provide better verification of serial I/O. Make
sure that you set CYGPRI_SER_TEST_SER_DEV appropriately and that you're
running the ser_filter host tool at the other end of the serial link.

If a particular test does not fit into RAM, you will see a linker error.
You will then need to configure with CYG_HAL_STARTUP == "ROM" and write
the test to Flash for execution on board reset.

> Also, should I use EABI or will ELF do as well?

It would be preferable to use the arm-eabi toolchain if only because it
is likely to produce better optimised code than the older arm-elf toolchain.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway