Re: connect ethernet cable at run-time

On 2009-09-24, Lars Dahlin <haraxidix@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to connect the ethernet cable and it
> shouldn't be necesary to restart ecos.

We've been using eCos for 10 years, and we've never found it
necessary to restart eCos (or the network stack, or anything
else) when the Ethernet link goes down/up.

> As far as I know (please correct me if i'm wrong) incoming ip
> and arp requests are handled by the thread cyg_netint. It
> seems that this thread is put to sleep if the network cable is
> not connected.

Again, I've never seen that.  We connect/disconnect Ethernet
cables all the time, and never have to restart anything.

We do have code in our Ethernet drivers that makes sure that
the Ethernet MAC duplex setting is changed to match the PHY's
negotiation results when a cable is plugged in, but I don't
think that has anything to do with what you're talking about.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Clear the laundromat!!
                                  at               This whirl-o-matic just had