Re: IV on VCS

Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
> [...]
> First, I would suggest just to vote on VCS for eCos. If we start to
> vote in the days during (1, 2 or 3 months), we will get the results
> before 2010 and we would get modern VCS for eCos in 2010 (it looks
> like 21 :-).
>
> Folk, What's about Internet Voting (IV) on VCS for eCos?
>
> We can use CIVS Internet Voting Service to begin the movement
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html

It is a nice idea, but IMHO this is not applicable. Unless everyone has
experience with all the options, such voting is likely to be
meaningless, probably boiling down to what those who bother to vote use
the most. I don't think you can ask everyone to go out and evaluate all
three to vote either.  IV can also be skewed - all you need is multiple
email addresses.

IMHO, the best way to resolve this is an open discussion on what the
pros and cons are.

Also you also need to consider that it will be the maintainers with
write privileges to the repository who will be the main users of the
DRCS/VCS. The only real effect it will have on the rest of us is how we
will access the code and how easy we can prepare and push contributions
back to the maintainers for integration back into the main source tree
(a.k.a. patch process).  Ultimately it is the maintainers who should
decide based on technical merit, usability, documentation etc - not from
half-baked feedback.

IMHO it is fair to limit the choice to Bazaar, Git and Mercurial.  So
far we have had a little to and fro of various features, all of which
can be found in all three options - so I think it is fair to say that
all three are pretty much the same regarding features and nothing which
makes one stand out from the rest. It then boils down to usability (ease
of use, GUI and x-platform support) and documentation, where there is a
clear leader in most respects...

So I am against a public vote unless a reasonable debate/discussion has
taken place and all options have been given a fair hearing. Otherwise
voting should be restricted to those who have experience with all three
options so their choices are properly informed objective choices rather
than subjective, political, go-with-the-flow, based on naive
assumptions, etc. At least then when a choice is made it can be defended
with sound reasoning and not just presented as a fait accompli.

-- Alex Schuilenburg