How to deconfigure an interface?

Hi,

I'd like to be able to change an IP address of an interface
without reboot. The comment at init_net says

  // [Re]initialize the network interface with the info passed from BOOTP

however, the new provided address is _added_ to the interface
and the interface responds to both old and new IP address afterwards.

The same happens if I try to set the address using SIOCSIFADDR.
Is this the intended behaviour? Shouldn't the SIFADDR
change the address and AIFADDR add a new one?

Is there a way to bring the IP stack back to the clean
state, or does one needs to deconfigure the interface
step-by step by removing addresses already configured
using SIOCDIFADDR (which works)?

I tried to look at the bootp code, but my suspicion is
that if the BOOTP server assigns a new address, the same
thing will happen - I do not have the environment to
confirm this.

I am using the FreeBSD networking stack.

Thanks
--
                                  Stano